Wednesday 7 April 2010

Oats soup



Oats is a cereal grain which has gained immense importance beacuse of the health benefits it offers. It contains a dietary fiber called beta-glucan which helps in lowering cholesterol. Oats have been originally used as a livestock feed. If you are interested to know more about this so called wonder grain please follow this link.

To tell you the truth I hate to eat oats. For me it was not that appetizing. I could never complete a bowl of oats anytime. Once I saw this recipe in one of the tamil magazine. If I remember correct a chef from a 5 star hotel wrote few recipes under the topic 'star virundhu'. The first recipe he presented is this. I love soups and since the name of this recipe is 'oats soup' I gave it a try. I should say I liked it. Not very much but better than the other recipes I have tried, might be just the word 'soup' did the magic. You too get healthy with a bowl of oats soup :)

Ingredients :

Oats- two handfuls (the less processed the oats, more healthier it is (Different stages of processing oats)
Milk
Maida/ All-purpose flour- 2 tspns
Butter- 1 tspn
Pepper powder- few pinches
Sugar- 1/2 tspn
Salt to taste

Method :

Heat a pan. Add a teaspoon of butter. When the butter melts add the oats and fry for a minute. Then to this add 2 teaspoons of maida and saute for a few seconds. Then add a cup of milk (3.5 % fat) and a cup of water. Boil on low heat until the oats are done. Add sugar and salt. Serve with some silvered almonds, raisins and a few pinches of pepper powder. Hope you will also enjoy this healthy cereal in the soup form. Happy cooking!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment