Friday 2 April 2010

Rava(i) paniyaram / semolina pancake


The most simple and delicious sweet!! You can prepare this in 15 minutes if you have all the ingredients in hand. This sweet was my dad's most favourite. During deepavali my mom would definitely prepare this for my dad. When you start frying the batter a wonderful aroma fills the entire place. Rajender said 'It smells too good' and rarely he gives such an open comment. My friends liked this sweet very much and I am happy too. When I tasted it I knew why my dad loved this. Such a satisfying taste it has............I couldn't explain it more. Just try it you will also know and your loved ones will love you more for preparing this dish.

Ingredients :

Rava- 11/2 cup
Maida/ All-purpose flour- 1 cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Egg- 1 no (optional)
Ripe banana- 1 no
Cardamom- 5 nos (powdered)
Oil for deep frying

Method :

Mix rava, maida, sugar, powdered cardamom, egg and ripe banana together. Mash the banana with your hand and mix everything to form a paste. Now add 1/2 cup of water and mix everything well. If you need more water add little by little. The final batter should be like thick dosa batter. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough drop the batter into the hot oil little by little using a table spoon. Fry till they turn golden brown in colour. Very tasty paniyaram will be ready to be served.

Taste enhancing tips for this recipe : Take care to make the batter thick and not too watery.  Watery batter imbibes more oil. Use coarse variety semolina for better result. Fry the batter till they turn golden brown.  Do not forget to add cardomom that gives the zest to this recipe. That is all and happy cooking!!! 

I would love to send this entry to Priya's CWS cardamom event.

No comments:

Post a Comment